Thursday, November 8, 2012

It's the good life

Oh Frankie baby.... you had it right when you sang this song.  It is the good life.  I mean, I have a roof over my head, food in my mouth, awesome friends and family... and most important an incredible husband who loves me unconditionally.  I mean, it's definitely the good life for me.  

While we are on the music scheme of things, I've found the theme song of my life.  Linus & Lucy from the Charlie Brown movies/cartoon.  It's one of those songs that you can't help but bob your head and smile when you hear it.  It seems like the only time you hear this song is during the holidays. But my goal shall be to make this a year round favorite, which I feel like is an impossible task because no one listens to jazz/classical anymore.  Friends, if you do nothing today, put in A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving/Christmas and listen to this treasure.  At least you'll have a smile on you face.

More on the music... Most people don't know that I'm very muscially inclined.  I've played the piano since I was 10 years old.  My present from my pop that year was a piano and piano lessons.  It was not a grandios piano, but it holds lots of sentimental value and I don't see myself ever getting rid of it.  I still love to go over to my parents house or my grandma's house and playing some tunes.  Makes me feel closer to him even though he's no longer here.  He instilled that passion for music in me with the gift of that piano.  Still play the piano, a little rusty, but I enjoy every minute of tickling those ivories!

With the teenage years approaching, I started band in jr high and played the flute.  Continued to the marching band in high school.  Ended up switching to playing the tuba in concert band.  Which brings me to one of my proudest accomplishments.  Why yes, I was a drum major for my high school band!  Call me a nerd, dork whatever.  I beam with pride any time I get to tell people that!  I also sang in the choir in high school, another very fun time.  Onto college, where I did play in that amazing Goin' Band from Raiderland!  Just for one year, but one awesome year!  Marched the tuba in the Tech band.  All fond memories that I look back on and can't help but smile.  These events are major contributors in my musical career.

Now, years later, (just 8 years, but feels like so long ago) I really miss those days filled with music.  The only music I really make these days, is a bad version of whatever is on the radio, but always at the top of my lungs.  Right after college I made a bucket list, and on it, I put play in a dueling piano bar once.  I still hope to forfill this dream one day, but I guess I need to get on the ball about practicing more.  As the holidays approach, I'm making myself a promise.  To get back on that bench and practice my scales, songs, and reherse to forfill this dream!  Wish me luck!

The ivories are calling....

No comments:

Post a Comment